The Ancient Manor of Tryndehayes
The name Tryndehayes is derived from the Anglo Saxon “trynde” meaning “the circular enclosure” and probably dates from the time of Ethelred (978-1013). The settlement, in the Rochefort Hundred of Exsessa was situated between manors of Hocheleia, Ragheleia, Watelea and Runewella, and had grown to a hamlet with a moat by 1047 AD but would probably have remained surrounded by forest.
In 1163 the holding of Henry of Essex, notably the Honor of Raley reverted to the crown.
The name Tryndehayes and its variations are recorded in many subsequent documents.
In 1200, Trindee is recorded in Curia Regis Rolls. 1210 Robtus de Trindeho I m. appears in a list of knights fees depending upon the honor and lordship of Raley or were held of it. 1211 Robert de Trindeho held one Knights fee of the Honor of Rayleigh. In 1291 Trind-(e)-hey and Trind-hay are recorded in Pleas of the Forest. In 1300, Tryndheye is recorded in the Calendar of Patent Rolls.
In 1300 Robert Giffard, of Bures, enfeoffed Peter Savery, and Margery his wife, in this maner of Trindehey, described as one messuage, with a close, 120 acres of arable, 3 acres of meadow, one of pasture, one of wood. The Subsidy Rolls for 1412 record Willelmus Totham tenet manerium de Tryndey, quod valet etc. c.s. Roger Darcy held this maner of Tryndhay in 1508. In 1550, Trenles is recorded in Feet of Fines (unpublished) at the PRO.
Robert Trapps held also this maner of Tryndas or Trendhay in 1571. Trindies was used in 1721, but Trendehay was used in 1746. In 1777, Chapman & André use the name Trainley in their map of Essex.
In 1841, Jane Baker entered into an indenture with William Clark to farm the Manor of Trinders containing by estimation two hundred and sixty three acres three roods and thirty perches be the same more or less.
In 1894, the manor was sold as Trenders Farm in the Parishes of Rawreth, Hockley and Rayleigh. In 1902 the Rayleigh Park plan was devised to sell off plot lands and reduce the farm this was not completed and due to WWI and WWII some areas were reclaimed and the Farm continued in the ownership of the Whittingham Family living in the Manor House “Trender’s Hall”. The Ordnance Survey map still shows the name Tryndehayes indicating the Manor. Trender’s Hall is now held by the Osborn family but since the Property Act of 1922, only rights such as the Rights of Common and Rights to Minerals continue.
The names over the years are recorded in many more documents and these have been collated from the books of Morant, Benton and Reaney who have made a particular study. The changes of place names is particularly remarked in the preface to the E.C.C. publication of Chapman & André’s Map of Essex of 1777 remarking on Chapman & Andre’s use of Trainley for Tryndehayes.